February 11, 2009

The Daddy Effect

So last Saturday, Georgia and I went to the Primary Activity day and Warren stayed at home with Daddy. We got home around noon and Peter told me that Warren had fallen asleep on the couch around 10:45....What the heck, he would never had done that for me!! Well here is the proof - Warren was 'playing' a video game with Peter and his head kept nodding until he fell completely asleep.


So this is what I call the 'Daddy Effect'.

Daddy: Walks in the door and the kids run up for hugs, then they are back to playing.
Mommy: Walks in the door and the kids run up for hugs, then it is, "I am thirsty or I am hungry", then "I want this or I want that"

Daddy: I am going to take a shower...the kids barely even notice
Mommy: I am going to take a shower..."Wait, I need some milk..."Put on a different movie..."Uhng Uhng Uhng(Warren's form of saying he wants something)..."I need you", then the tears come...like I am never coming back.

Mommy: I tell Georgia to pick up her toys...she throws herself on the ground telling me that she can't do it, it is too hard. I explain that if she can make the mess, she can clean it up. She explains that if I help her, then she can clean up. Back and forth until....
Daddy: Walks into the room and says, "Georgia"...she immediately jumps up and starts cleaning up!!

Daddy: Sits on the couch...the kids continue doing what they were doing
Mommy: Sits on the couch...Warren runs over, grabs my hand and pulls with all his might....he needs something. Georgia yells from the bathroom, "Come wipe me" (She can wipe herself, but insists on having me do it when I am home)

So why are the kids so calm and better behaved for Peter?? Even though Peter and I ask ourselves this question often, we might never discover the answer. Needless to say, I love my kids more than anything and even though the "Daddy Effect' is frustrating sometimes...it is only a temporary frustration!!

5 comments:

Patria said...

I've read that there's something in the male voice that has a different effect on kids. That said, in our house- the kids go to daddy for most everything because he's the one with them more...so it's probably just who they've learned to depend on to meet their needs and desires (: your kids are darling.
-patria

Meg and Russ said...

This my friend, is soooooo true. I don't know why or how they learn it, but they do. At least Jaxon is that way. :) Your family is so adorable!

Amy Beatty said...

Holy cow Deanna!!! I had no idea you had this awesome blog, till I saw you on Glorys!!! I love it. You guys are such a fun family. I'm going to add you to my page if you don't mind. I love looking at all your pictures and see what your up to. You guys look like you are doing great! Love you guys.. If peter doesn't read blogs tell him Hi! And Happy Valentines Day!

alicia said...

I have to say that the daddy effect is perfectly said and explained. You need to congratulate yourself on your ability to articulate it so well. Also, I think it's HILARIOUS!

Jamie Taylor said...

You know, while it's frustrating (and eerily the same in our house as well...) it's kind of nice to feel needed. :) I came home from work the other day, and Sam's still in bed with the kids in there with him, and Dallen is asleep on the bed with him. Ha! When I'm there, he's jumping off the bed like Superman! Good for daddy. :) At least they get some rest when Daddy's there. :)